PV degradation [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Fri Dec 15 22:07:22 PST 2006

I have not found a lot of consistency regarding degradation. I have seen
numerous first-generation Photowatts (imported from France by Windy in the
early 80s) still at 100% of rated power. Most of the ASI 16-2000s I see are
close to original output, depending on degree of discoloration. At the same
time, I have one long-time off-grid customer with 16 tracked Arco M55s
(which at one time were Arco's premium 36-cell module at 53/55 watts) that
are seriously browned and putting out about 50% of rated power (loosely
measured).

The 0.6%/year I heard as a ROT from some NREL study is a statistical average
based on many varied module specimens, not a predictable structural
degradation common to all crystalline silicon modules. I suspect that early
Tedlar browning is the cause of much of that figure.

Allan at PosE