PV degradation [RE-wrenches]

Bruce Roush bruce at solardepot.com
Tue Dec 12 12:07:43 PST 2006

Windy,
The figures used by BP are from 1/2 to 1% per year degradation. Of this
power loss, 1/2 is voltage and 1/2 current.
Most modules are warrantied to produce 80% power output after 25 years
(this equates to 0.8% per year).

Significantly, the warranty is for the wattage adjusted to the stated
tolerance factor of the module. For a module with 9% power tolerance,
you would first multiply the wattage times .91, to adjust the rating to
the guaranteed minimum. Then the 80% would be applied.

As to the reason for the loss, I have heard that is is a result of the
development of resistance in the cell junctions and between crystal
boundries within the cells.

Bruce Roush

Windy Dankoff wrote:

> Wrenches,
>
> Perhaps you can help  me answer a question for "Ask The Experts"
> column in Home Power. It regards degradation of PV modules.
>
> There seems to be some agreement on a norm of about 1/2% per year
> degradation (not due to dirt). This is a rough average, of course.Is
> there any general agreement on WHY this happens?
>
> I think it's the average of a variety of factors, but if you have
> data on this issue, it may be helpful.
>
> Also, if you have factual data on percentages of failures rates of PV
> over a long period, that will help too.
>
> Thanks!
> Windy

- - - -