vertical axis wind (and solar) turbine [RE-wrenches]

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Thu Dec 7 14:30:39 PST 2006

<x-flowed>

"Viable" and "vertical-axis wind turbine" would seem to be at opposite
poles. At least where electrical energy is the plan, VAWT's have not
shown any fundamental advantage > HAWT designs, are usually very large
and costly (or else they don't really do much of anything) compared to
HAWT's of the same expected output rating, and are generally marketed
with much hype and illusory claims of performance advantages. There are
many similar types currently being advertised, none of which (to the
best of my knowledge) have enough merit to choose them over a
"conventional" horizontal-axis machine.

There are a lot of companies emerging from the woodpile lately that
claim to have "noiseless, vibration-free, roof-mounted, urban design"
VAWT's, but most of them are just re-hashed designs from years ago that
didn't make it. With all the current hoop-de-doo about alternative
energy, you can be sure that this is a trend that will continue for some
time - or until the scamsters are exposed to the light of day.

On the other hand, it would be interesting to see the frequency output
from the rotating PV cells; one can only imagine. :-)

Matt T

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com