Sayo HIP Modules with MX60 [RE-wrenches]

Ryan Mayfield ryan_mayfield at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 2 08:34:18 PST 2006

Jeremy,

To determine the adjusted Voc use the formula:

Vadj = Voc + ((Tcell - Tstc) * temp coefficient)

Note the temperatures are in degrees C with Tstc = 25C.

Also, you should use coldest temperature, not coldest daytime ambient temperature. Your modules will go to Voc early in the morning before the sun strikes the modules and produce any current. It is generally recommended to use record low temperature for that calculation, that way you should never exceed voltage limits. OutBack has some protection to compensate for over voltage conditions but a good design practice would be to avoid that situation altogether, especially if you can find yourself exceeding 150Voc on a regular basis.

That said I think you are in a tough spot. If you put two modules in series you will exceed the 150Voc limit but if you don't the voltage loss due to heat in the summer will drop you below your battery charging voltage. In that case, I think the MX60 would hold your array at the necessary voltage to charge your batteries but it will have to come at the cost of the current.

Seems to me like these aren't the best panels for your situation.

Ryan