Branch circuits in Subpanels [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters walters at taosnet.com
Fri Oct 20 17:54:15 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

Hi All;

I have a question related to the grid/tie back up question. When we add
a sub panel for circuits to be powered by the inverter, we install a
short 1" to 3 " by 2 " diam nipple to connect the sub panel to the
existing load center. In many cases the existing branch circuit wiring
is too short to run directly over to the sub panel, so we wire nut
extensions to make the run over to the new sub panel. To avoid too many
wire nutted connections, we have considered just running the hots over
to the adjacent sub panel, and leave the neutrals and grounds connected
(as before) to the existing main load center. We run #6 or #4 over to
connect the subpanel's ground and nuetral bars to the main load center.
(yes, we observe the "nuetral bonded to ground in only one place" rule)
Now, I realise code specifies that hots, neutrals, and grounds on branch
circuits have to be run in the same raceway, and I wouldn't consider
this, if the load centers were not side by side. What are the potential
problems here? Basically we're trying to observe another section of the
code that specifies "professional, workmanship like manner": and wire
nutting all the hots, neutrals, and grounds to jump 2 ft over to an
adjacent box looks like a real mess, not to mention the potential
dangers of all those extra connections crammed into the sides of the
existing load center.
Obviously, if its new construction, we can get the branch wires left
long enough to do this right. However, this is an existing service
situation. What do you all think or do in these situations? (I've also
considered crimped butt splices, but IMHO, they are not reliable on
solid core wire.)

Thanks very much,

Ray Walters

- - - -