Connecting a solar array charging source to PROsine series system [RE-wrenches]

Bob Clark bclark at solar-wind.us
Wed Oct 11 06:05:05 PDT 2006

Thanks Alan, Walt, and Bob.  I was leaning toward a redesign and dumping the inverters and (at least some of the) batteries.

IF THE CUSTOMER WILL ACCEPT A REDESIGN:

SOLAR ARRAY
I was contemplating 2-72V panel strings as the PV Open Circuit Voltage (Voc) of the MX60 controller = 150 VDC absolute maximum coldest conditions / 140 VDC start-up and operating maximum.  This arrangement of SHARP 175W would yield a Voc of 44.4V X 3 = 133.2V.  Absolute coldest winter temps do not pose a problem.  This way the wire size can be minimized on its 200 feet distance (one way) from array to power center.

BATTERIES
What about 3-48V strings of batteries (if the batteries are worth using), so that the customer does not have to jettison so many batteries?  Or would this be too many large voltage strings?  The customer is interested in as much power reserve for as long as he can get (within reason)--to minimize generator run time.

Advice on how best to test the remaining capacity of the existing batteries would be appreciated.

INVERTERS
"Statpower/Xantrex ProSine inverters have high idle losses - at least the early ones did. That's part of the gennie runtime issue."  Thanks for this info.  Also, would the fact that so many batteries are connected in parallel have something to do with the customer's long recharge times even if there is just one 12V, 200W battery per string?

OTHER DESIGN CONSIDERATIONS
Unfortunately, I do not yet have information on the pump power requirements.  Distance and lift from the well is not an issue.

The customer is resigned to using his generator for approximately six weeks during the winter because where he has to put his solar array does not receive sunlight during this winter gloom time--a compromised situation, but what he has to work with.

Again, thanks for your responses.

Bob Clark
SolarWind Energy Systems, LLC
(509) 826-1259