High Voltage Wind Gen Brake Sw. [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell tcreswell at ozarkenergyservices.com
Fri Oct 6 05:57:35 PDT 2006

Hi Matt,

A Bergey will not run away and go ka-blooey in the absence of a load.  It
will be noticeably loader but it is designed to be able to run unloaded.  I
think it's the only small turbine in the 1kW-10kW range that can do that.  I
know because of inverter issues we've had several 10kW's run unloaded for
months with no damage.

I have little experience with variable pitch machines but it would only make
sense that a turbine that doesn't rely on a mechanical system to protect
itself would be more reliable.  Many a Jacobs dies an early life because
maintenance is ignored.  I got a call recently about one whose complete
rotor assembly had fallen to the ground!

Of course a turbine that requires a dump load (every small turbine but
Bergey) for over speed protection could go ka-blooey should a fuse open or
any wires come loose.

Best,
Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services