Uni-Solar PVL Laminates? [RE-wrenches]

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Wed Sep 20 09:32:54 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

Hi Travis,

Having done quite a few Unisolar PVL installs myself, I think it's safe
to say that you actually don't have to worry about getting involved with
this kind of project. Installing the laminates is very straight forward,
a little labor-intensive, but at least you do it on the flat (even
though it can be done on existing roof pans). PVL on a standing seam
roof is as good as it gets when it comes to areas prone to high winds,
high heat, partial shading and/or frequently obscured sunlight. It is
also very clean looking, adds very little to roof loading compared to
conventional glazed modules.

However, possible down-sides include: It is designed primarily for a new
standing-seam metal roof, so jobs are somewhat limited; thin film
modules are roughly 1/2 as efficient per sq. foot of insolated surface,
so you either need a relatively large roof area or have to settle for a
smaller system; the cost/Watt is a little higher than "conventional" PV
(but not so much these days), and not everyone can afford the combined
cost of a new metal roof AND solar at the same time.

I can also say that out of all the systems I've done with Unisolar
modules, I've never had a bad one out of the box or had to replace one
later. Not wanting to be in the roofing business, I always have the
laminated roofing panels installed by a good roofing company,
experienced in metal roofing. After that, hooking-up the connections is
very fast and easy, requiring very little time on the roof; that and
there are 0 roof penetrations to worry about.

Matt T

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com