battery box venting flow rate? [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks bill at brooksolar.com
Tue Sep 19 19:56:16 PDT 2006

Wrenches,

The real issue is how the local inspector will view the installation. I'm
not sure why John would say it does not have to vent to the outside, but I
definitely recommend that it vent to the outside. My basic recommendation is
that the ventilation requirements for an indoor residential battery box use
the same requirements for a gas water heater. This provides many times the
required ventilation, but it is something the inspector can readily relate
to.

Venting a battery box within a house is not a good idea. There are no
ventilation requirements for house ventilation and the natural ventilation
of house could vary from 2 air changes per hour to zero. If it happens to be
zero when the battery goes, you're in big trouble. Most commercial buildings
are required to have a 10% fresh air makeup, so venting to the room
(computer room) is not an issue when you are using AGM VRLA batteries.

So, use the ventilation requirements for a gas water heater and you're good
to go. Otherwise, spend a few thousand dollars and hire an engineer to
calculate the number of hydrogen atoms on the head of a pin.

Bill.