Outback FX voltage fun [RE-wrenches]

Hugh Piggott hugh at scoraigwind.co.uk
Mon Sep 4 23:36:34 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

Hi Wrenches,

I have recently got a VFX 3048 50Hz and installed it in my own home.
Very solid and quiet.

Here on Scoraig we use a lot of big standby cells that we get
secondhand from telephone exchanges and power stations etc.
Originally glass (up to around 1980) then clear plastic cells, big
and heavy, that can last twenty or thirty years.  My son found me
24 at 200Ah, year-2000 cells that had not been used.  They are a bit
obstinate.

I find that I can get some current into them if I push the volts up a
little. They are actually working better now.  I charge them with a
variac off my old 12 volt Trace U-series.

Anyway I also wanted to try out my 5 kVA  diesel generator (also
recently acquired, secondhand) to stuff some charge into the battery.
I found that it could only get about 7 amps charge rate at 58 volts.
So I decided to push the batteries a bit with a 66 volt EQ.  The got
the current up to about 15 amps.  A bit noisy though, so I did not do
it for more than a few minutes.  Seemed to cheer the batteries up.

Later my wife asked me if I knew why the TV was not working.  I
didn't know - presumably because the power was off in that room.
Before putting the generator back down to the workshop I did one more
EQ charge, and while that was gong on I checked out the power in the
bedroom where the TV was.  TV didn't work.  Power seemed OK but just
to be sure I tried out the VCR.  Very dramatic sudden death with
smoke and small popping noises.  hmm....

I put my graphing multimeter on the supply and found the the diesel
was producing a normal looking sine wave with a dirty great peak on
the top of it extending to just over 600 volts.  Normal peak is just
over 300.  That explained the carnage.

I am not exactly blaming the Outback, since it was the generator that
produced the waveform (actually I was pleased still to have an
Outback) but I was very surprised.  These Pramag diesels with Yanmar
engines are not the most expensive but neither are they cheap.  I
guess the AVR does not like whatever game the Outback plays to
regulate charge at 66 volts output.  I will be watching the waveform
anytime I synch with that generator for the next while and being
careful what I have connected.

Anybody had a similar experience?  Any suggestions to safeguard my
loads?  I need to get a 48 volt stator into my AWP and a 48 volt
solar array going.  But I would like to be able to fall back on the
diesel.

all the best,
--
Hugh