Kaneka GSA? [RE-wrenches]

Aaron Wellendorf aaron at dcpower-systems.com
Wed Aug 23 16:46:37 PDT 2006

Bill,

The Kaneka Isc is 1.19A. That doesn't change your calcs because 1.19A x
1.25 = 1.49A. Thus 5A - 1.49A still equals a 3.5A fuse. However...

I'm not understanding why you need to subtract the [1.49A] from the 5A.
You said "Therefore you must subtract the 1.25 amps from the 5 amp
rating so the max fuse rating is 3.75 amps." What is the "therefore"
there for?

These calculations are not in the Kaneka literature, but they came up in
my question and answer sessions with the Kaneka reps. I had figured a 4A
fuse was okay, since Kaneka said the internal buss bars were rated for
7A. Kaneka told me 4A fuse was acceptable.

Please explain. Thanks.

Aaron Wellendorf
DC Power Systems

----------------
So Matt,

What would the appropriate fuse rating be for two series strings in
parallel?

Assuming the Isc is 1 amp, then Imax = 1 amp x 1.25 = 1.25 amp
[690.8(A)].

Therefore you must subtract the 1.25 amps from the 5 amp rating so the
max
fuse rating is 3.75 amps

Two strings in parallel have a max current of 2.5 amps (1.25 x 2), and
the
minimum series fuse rating is 2.5 amps x 1.25 = 3.1 amps [690.8(B)]. So
the
correct number is 3.5 amps.

The only fuse allowable for this arrangement of two strings in parallel
is a
3.5 amp fuse. I'd be interested to see if they have this in their
literature.

Bill.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com