Off-grid pumps [RE-wrenches]

Kelly Keilwitz kelly at whidbeysunwind.com
Fri Jul 28 18:53:18 PDT 2006

Wrenches,
Here's what we are looking at for the resolution to our off-grid pump design
problem: 140' static water level, 10 foot water column and pump at 3 gpm or
less to avoid salt intrusion. Part of the equation was to stay efficient to
keep down the size of the needed tree-mounted PV array.

We¹re proposing to use the Lorentz HR 14-2 24V for the well pump. It'll pump
at 3 gpm on 180 watts, and the flow can be adjusted at the controller down
to 1 gpm. The helical rotor design seems like it should be dependable and a
good choice for this situation.

The pressurizing pump from the storage tank will be the Flowlight Booster
Pump (slow speed model), which will be located at the batteries. The
slow-speed model can deal with a suction head of up to 20 feet, which might
be needed if intake filtration or screening gets clogged.

We¹ll need to use #6 wire down the well to keep the voltage drop down. But
overall, the cost savings of the 24V pumps (and, especially, controller)
will be much less expensive than with a 48-V system. And, staying on the DC
side will free up the inverter capacity.

Of course, we¹re also recommending that the power system and PV's should go
in ASAP!

Thanks to Windy and others suggestions on and off list. Any last comments?

Kelly Keilwitz, P.E.
Whidbey Sun & Wind, LLC
Renewable Energy Systems
NABCEP Certified PV Installer