Off-grid pumps [RE-wrenches]

Windy Dankoff windydankoff at mac.com
Sun Jul 23 07:16:08 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

Todd,

You're right, Kelly said:
     But, as this is a salt water intrusion area, we want
     to pump at no more than 3 gpm.

He also said:
     There is an existing 1000 gal concrete
     storage tank in the ground about 20 feet from the well head

  I had lost site of the fact that there is already a storage tank in
place.

Since they have surface water for irrigation, and it's only a cabin,
it is feasible to directly pressurize from the well pump using <3
GPM. This has worked fine for old customers of mine using even less
than 1 GPM, provided:
1. They must understand the inherent limitation (taking time to
recover if they draw > about 25 gal. quickly),
2. they use at least one 80 gal. pressure tank, set up in the normal
way,
3.  raise the pres. switch's cut-in pressure so, for example, the
settings are 30/40. This way not  much water is lost before the pump
cuts on again.

Advantages of a single pump (even where there already exists a
storage tank) are simplicity, less cost, less to go wrong, and not
least, a much better assurance of sanitary water. IF they decide in
the future that they need full-flow pressurizing, they can utilize
the same well pump to fill the storage tank, and then add a
pressurizing pump.

So Kelly, now you have a number of options, including an option for
later expansion. Hope this helps.

Windy

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php