Generacs for off-grid [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Wed Jul 5 20:16:49 PDT 2006

I've got no experience with the Generac in question but I do with the 12 RES
Kohler which I believe is identical to the 8.5 other then the obvious.

It's a fine generator for the most part from what I've seen.  Two wire
start, lots of power and maintains its voltage and frequency nicely under
full load and during big surges.

But....no alternator but it does have an 120v on board battery charger that.
I was able to work that out with a 15 watt panel dedicated to the starter
battery but you still need to hook up the battery charger so it operates
when the generator running.  After about 3 hrs of running the battery
voltage falls below 12.00 volts and the generator magically shuts off if you
don't charge the battery while it's running.  I like to meet the engineer
that programmed that controller and tell him what a pain that has been to
me.

And its electronic controller will zap the battery in just a few days even
if you remove the jumper that turns the controller off 48 hrs after the
generator turns off in auto mode.  Again I'd like to meet that engineer...

Kohler obviously had no intention of it being used off grid.

Be warned Kohler will probably not warranty any part of the unit if you
install it off grid.  I'm fighting my regional Kohler dealer over what
should clearly be an under warranty service call right now.  They are
refusing to fix the onboard battery charger and charge me $900 to come out
and confirm it was dead.  But since it's off grid they are using that to try
to stick me with the service call and not replace the battery charger!  I
wish I could get $100 per hr and $2.50/mile r/t just to seriously irritate
my customers.

Just today I got a call from a long time off-gridder today with an older 8.5
(3600 rpm/propane).  It's approaching 9000 hrs and still runs great.  But
the other day some small part went out and Kolher stuck them with $1900 to
come out and repair it.  They were obviously pretty distressed with that and
called me looking for some help.

Let us know if you find the perfect generator!

Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services