Single vs Distributed Inverters? [RE-wrenches]

Jeffery Wolfe, Global Resource Options jeff at globalresourceoptions.com
Fri Jun 9 19:06:57 PDT 2006

David,

It's your first large system. You know string inverters. The engineering
on a large system can be very similar to a small system if you use the
string inverters. Less to learn on a commercial job that way. And
probably less expensive, depending upon exact stringing.

Go with a large inverter, then you get to learn a new product line for
engineering, special order some equipment, wait for it, learn how to
install, commission, and possibly troubleshoot it.

I'd stick with the string inverters unless you're planning on doing a
lot of these, and then you could try to optimize. But we've found that
the string inverters are less expensive, installed (if you've got
space), than any larger inverter, up to 50 or 60 kW of capacity.

Depending upon module, you can probably use 6 SMA 6000's, with about 7
kW on each. It is even balanced on the phases!

Jeff
Jeff Wolfe
Global Resource Options, Inc., Solar Energy Solutions