NEC over 600 Volts [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks bill at brooksolar.com
Tue May 30 20:51:55 PDT 2006

http://click.topica.com/caaePuwbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC Powerscan

Joel,

I guess we misunderstood the question. You need to get a lot more specific
about what you are asking. If you are asking about when the Over 600V
addition was made to 690, that was 1999. It is somewhat irrelevant when
Article 100 started dealing with systems over 600V. It's been a long time.

Your question about PV systems over 600V in the U.S. needs to be more
accurately posed. There are many bipolar PV systems throughout the U.S. that
are well over 600Vdc. I believe the Solec systems you were involved with
were over 600Vdc. However, I am unaware of any system over 600Vdc that has
been inspected using the provision in 690. In order to do this, you must use
listed modules for 1000Vdc (I'm not sure anyone sells them anymore--for
several years ASE-100 was the only module rated at 1000V), you have to use
wire rated for at least 1000V, and use disconnects (expensive) and fuses
(not aware of any) rated for 1000V. So why do you want to know?

Bill.