PV source circuit disconnect location [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Tue May 23 11:04:24 PDT 2006

http://click.topica.com/caaePuwbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC Powerscan

Daniel,
Here's John Wiles' response, forwarded through us:

The Exception to 690.14(C)(1) is a part of 690.14 and if you can meet
the requirements of 690.31(E), which refers back to 690.14, you can
place the disconnect in any readily-accessible location reached by
the metallic raceway. You are, in fact, complying with 690.14 when
you do this since the exception is a part of that section.  Roof
tops, where the PV source or output circuits would presumably
penetrate the building, are not considered to be readily accessible.
Incidentally, Metal Clad (Type MC)  and Armored Cable (Type AC) cable
assemblies are not considered to be metallic raceways.  Also,
aluminum-jacketed type AC cable assemblies are not listed for use
with direct current circuits.

Allan