KWH meter discrepancy [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater clrwater at earthlink.net
Sun May 21 19:01:14 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

Hi Bill,

Fact is we've seen this on numerous occasions - all consistently 15%
lower than inverter readings.  No improper programming or damage in
shipment involved.  I've seen it perhaps 15 times now.

When we are talking low power - we mean the amount of time spent at
perhaps 10-100 watts.  The effect has been most pronounced on a
Whisper Wind link where the machine spends alot of time on coastal
daily wind patterns where it's just above start up speed and
producing 10-50 watts.  Wind the storms come in it puts out 1000
watts but that's rare compared to the amount of time it spends at low
wattages.  This meter reads 21% under the inverter readings.

PV systems also spend some considerable time putting out wattages of
this level - during morning and evening conditions and cloudy periods.

So if you are so sure it's not the meters then we really need to hear
from the inverter manufacturers here!  Or utility meters are not that
accurate - one or the other or a combo of the two has to be true.  To
say that it just can't be true is to ignore the data.

Let's get to the bottom of this!

Best,

Jeff C.

>Jeff, Bob, and All,
>
>Bob and I have briefly discussed this in the past. They have seen
>discrepencies, and I believe they were due to improper programming or damage
>in shipment. The idea that a utility meter is inaccurate at low power just
>can't be true. A residence lives at 200-800 watts for over 12 hours a day
>considering night and midday. They are tested at several points including
>low power. All utilities retest their meters and occasionally they reject a
>meter for being out of calibration. Net meter meters require testing several
>meters to find one that is in calibration in both directions. However, the
>specs are so tight (I believe they have to be within 1.5% in both
>directions), that it is tough for a meter that has been calibrated only in
>the forward direction.
>
>Utility meters calibrated by Austin Intl. should be extremely accurate
>unless it was damaged in shipping. The specs are more stringent than
>inverter manufacturers. However, I have seen several inverter meters in very
>good agreement with well-calibrated utility meters, so not all manufacturers
>push the truth.
>
>Bill.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design
Sustainable Energy & Water Solutions for Home & Village
http://www.villagepower.com
gosolar at villagepower.com
NABCEP (tm) Certified Solar PV Installer

530-470-9166
877-SOLARVillage
877-765-2784
72 Baker Rd.