Grid Tied with Batteries [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Tue May 16 19:05:02 PDT 2006

No problem (besides, it was an question on OutBack products).

Under ideal conditions, a lack of the communication between the MX60 and
the Grid-Tie version of our inverter will not compromise the
performance.  In the real world - it can make a big difference.

Mostly what is communicated is information such as how much power the
inverter wants from the MX60 - i.e. more or less type commands.  This
helps when the AC grid voltage is unstable or close to the upper limit.
It also should help when there is variable cloud conditions - such as
clear sky then clouds then clear sky. Basically the MX60 knows what the
inverter wants.

The testing we did comparing the performance to the SMA was without this
communication - we added it afterwards prior to releasing our Grid-Tie
inverter as I saw sometimes where we could have done better.  I guess
that is what prototype testing is for! I should give thanks to Jonathan
and Nick at Sierra Solar for access to the PV arrays...

Christopher

Todd Cory wrote:

> Thanks for the missing text and reply Christopher. I am curious
> about #3... do you recommend including the HUB so the MX & FX can
> talk to each other? Does this improve the performance significantly?
>
> Todd
>
> > 3. Includes MPPT (via the MX60 controller) wit it co-ordinated by
> > the HUB through inverter-to-controller communication.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com
www.outbackpower.com