UV Resistant Insulation for Hot Water Pipes [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Mon May 8 05:35:54 PDT 2006

http://click.topica.com/caaeKAPbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC Powerscan

It's great stuff but it's expensive.  It's a great solution for underground
direct burial heat transfer runs but it don't know if would be cost
effective for applications that don't require a waterproof jacket. 2" dual
pipe is over $30/ft and 1.5" is nearly $25/ft.  Fittings and termination
kits are pricey but it's a great product when you need it.  We have the hand
tools to expand and compress up to 1.25".  If we have to do 1.5" or larger
we borrow a hydraulic kit from our distributor.

PEX might be ok for solar thermal but are you really saving that much money
if you use it?  Sure you're reducing the cost of the piping itself by up to
a 1/3rd but is the savings for the overall job worth risking it?

Best,

Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services