cold cathode dimmable lamps [RE-wrenches]

Windy Dankoff windydankoff at mac.com
Sun May 7 08:25:01 PDT 2006

http://click.topica.com/caaeKAPbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC Powerscan

Jay,

I got three of these made by Taylorbrite, for my camper van. I got
them from Westmarine, last year. They were expensive, and the dimmers
were expensive. I went for low power and multiple fixtures so I don't
need the dimmers. So I can't report on the dimmers, but I love the
lights.

They appear (by casual observation) to be a bit more efficient than
good quality CFs. 10% may be correct (for mine, at least). Of course
claim of 30% might be made by comparing them to a poor quality CF.

They are extremely rugged, so especially suited to mobile use, and
have an ultra-long life. Very little heat, not concentrated at the
ends of the tubes. Tubes are skinny, much like those of CFs.

I LOVE the quality of light -- a warm spectrum comfortable for a
living space. They are not advertised or specified as such, but I
called the factory and they told me the Kelvin temperature which I
forgot, but it's in the warm-medium range.

One that I got is a double-tube fixture in which the switch selects
off/1/2-tube. That's almost like having a dimmer, but cheaper.

Windy

> From: jay peltz <jay at asis.com>
>
> I just found in a catalog some cold cathode dimmable lamps.
>
> Has anybody used them?
>
> According to Rainbow power from Australia they say these lamps are
> 10-30% more efficient than compact fluorescent lamps.
>
> thanks,
>
> jay
>
> peltz power

- - - -