MX60 Tone Generator [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters walters at taosnet.com
Thu Apr 27 15:37:28 PDT 2006

<x-flowed>

Hi All;

I just sold an MX-60 to a customer with a 48 volt battery bank and 48
volt array. I noticed almost immediately that it seemed to be making
music like an alarm tone or computer beeping at various frequencies; all
very audible. I thought it was some sort of start up notification and
let it go. The next 2 days, my customer called 5 times to complain that
it was making sounds almost constantly. The system is in a hallway at
the center of the house, but all the equipment is in a cabinet with
lockable doors. They could hear it through the whole house.
We called Outback, who told us this was a harmonic resonance that
occurred sometimes in systems that were 48 volt in and out. They said it
was normal! They suggested changing the MPPT parameters so that it would
operate the array at a slightly different voltage, less efficient but
should quiet it down. I just talked to the customer today, who told me
this too did not work, and it is still making ridiculously loud sounds.
We had hyped this controller as being the "latest and greatest" the
industry had to offer, boy am I looking like a doo doo slinger now.
We've had other MX60s 48in/out with no problems. Anybody else see (hear)
this one, or have any solutions? We're going to redo the system with a
different controller(s) next week if we must.

Ohh and we've already considered running the array at 72 volts, but how
do you do that when one array is 8 older BP 90s, the 2nd array is 10
Shell 150s, and the third will be 8 Sharp 165s?

Beep BooooBleepp blappp,

Ray Walters
SolarRay, Inc.

- - - -