Thermal - PV and diff controller? [RE-wrenches]

Kurt Nelson sunwise at cheqnet.net
Fri Apr 14 08:51:50 PDT 2006

http://click.topica.com/caaeE3vbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC Powerscan

Just to add info to my previous post....

I should mention that I don't do that much solar thermal, mostly doing
off-grid PV.

I can think of 7 SDHW systems that I installed in the last ten years and
all of them used PV driven Hartels.  I've never had a pump failure.
Actually I should correct that statement as I had two pumps that came in
on an order of three that didn't work right out of the box (previously
mentioned problem of manufacturer distributed defective pumps some years
back that wouldn't work PV direct).

Also, five of these seven pumps are in systems over five years old and
only one is in operation less than four years old.

The pumps I mentioned are brushless and in single pump,
thermal-siphoning designs.  No snap switches, which really is a weak
point in such a system and also might not be noticed by the home-owner
if it goes out (still hearing pump noise from the solar loop pump).
Maybe there is a thermostat that costs a little more than $7, but works
a lot longer.

Kurt

Kurt Nelson
PO Box 309