Thermal - PV and diff controller? [RE-wrenches]

Kirk Herander kirk at vtsolar.com
Wed Apr 12 15:38:59 PDT 2006

http://click.topica.com/caaeE3vbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC Powerscan

We made a business decision 6 months ago not to use a PV panel and DC
circulator unless we are installing off-grid SDHW. I have had very poor
luck with failing Hartell and El-sid circulators, not to mention the
snap switches.

If you are installing an incentivized system, at least in VT, you are
required to provide a five year bumper-to-bumper warranty on the system.
Do you really want to work for free, as I have, fixing DC driven SDHW?

Last weekend I worked (for free) to change a DC system (Hartell and snap
switches to AC (Taco 008 & Goldline GL-30 controller) because the
Hartell and switches had burned out twice in a 1 1/2 year period. It is
not my only example. I can think of 3 other DC circulator failures.

No more for me. AC is cheaper and much more reliable.

Kirk Herander
Vermont Solar Engineering
802.863.1202
fax 802.863-7908