Using MX60 with poor quality generators [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Tue Mar 28 12:27:43 PST 2006

You could save Hundreds on your Car insurance
We track down the best Car Insurance rates for you
Click here if you are in the market for Car insurance
http://click.topica.com/caaeA2vbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Firstand10.com

The problem that the bonded NG of a small portable generator will cause
is an AC ground fault - even in the non-protected wiring of the house -
even when the generator is not running...

The reason the "professional" generator guys don't worry about it is
that most of the AC transfer switches will switch both the neutrals and
the hot conductors of the AC circuits being backed up - this eliminates
the ground faults.

This is what we do with the mobile versions (UL458) of the OutBack
inverter/chargers - but not on the AE/grid-tie versions.  The UL1741
standard in past did not allow switching of the grounded conductors -
but I can't say if its in the current version anymore without checking.

The AC transfer switch on the mobile versions is only 30 amps - while
the AE/GT versions are 60 amps for 120VAC applications. We have
prototyped a 60 amp unit which switches both hots and neutrals - but it
is expensive to do.

The best solution is having the AC transfer switch for the grid / gen
selection switch both the hots and neutrals "upstream" of the standard
AE/GT inverter/charger.

I hope this makes sense!

> Is the grounded-neutral a power quality problem, or just a code issue?
> What
> problems does it really pose in actual practice?
>
> I know of professional generator installers that never mess with the
> bond in
> the generator.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com
www.outbackpower.com
Arlington WA USA
Tel 360 435 6030

Sign Up for Packet8 and tell your phone company
to VoIP-Off. First Month Free! Then up to 50% off your
phone bill.  Free Equipment! Packet8 1-877-868-1135
http://click.topica.com/caaexdRbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ TMONE

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com