Ground Fault using SG/DG weatherproof boxes [RE-wrenches]

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Sat Mar 18 09:28:11 PST 2006

Packet8 Digital Phones Service can save you up to
$999 annually on your phone bill! First Month Free!
Free Activation! Save $110 instantly. Wow. 1-877-868-1135
http://click.topica.com/caaexdPbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ TMONE

Or is it yet another reason to use adequately sized Carlon boxes and/or
OB Combiners? Considering the trend of most module manufacturers to
switch to MC connections, wouldn't it be a better idea to find ways to
accommodate their reality than ways to avoid it? Using Europe and Japan
as models of how the world of PV is developing, I would be really
surprised if any modules will even be available with J boxes withing 5
years.

Matt T

William Miller wrote:

>Randy:
>
>Here is yet another reason to avoid the use of MC cables!  Just say no.
>
>William Miller
>

>At 12:16 PM 3/17/2006, you wrote:
>

>>Wrenches,
>>We use outdoor rated SG and DB boxes and blank covers when we have
>>strings dispersed across a flat roof to transition from MC wire.
>>Recently, I had an inspection of a 3kw system where the inspector took
>>off the cover of a single gang, waterproof box and caused a ground fault
>>when he put the cover back on.
>>
>>The reason for this is the box cover screws are =BE=94 which is
>>unnecessarily long. When the inspector wedged the taped split bolt back
>>in the box he positioned it directly behind the screw hole. The screw
>>bored through a thick layer of tape like butter to the split bolt
>>causing the ground fault.

Shopping for a new car?
Pay 2-3% below invoice on a new car of your choice.
Save thousands with our free car discount finder service!
http://click.topica.com/caaexd6bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Dealix

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com