panels on a bowed roof [RE-wrenches]

Kirk Herander kirk at vtsolar.com
Wed Mar 1 12:14:24 PST 2006

Packet8 Digital Phones Service can save you up to
$999 annually on your phone bill! First Month Free!
Free Activation! Save $110 instantly. Wow. 1-877-868-1135
http://click.topica.com/caaexdPbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ TMONE

William,
Thanks for your good advice.
To be clear, this is not to compensate for an old sagging or warped
roof.
>From a side view, the roof is not a straight slope but rather a long,
sweeping arc, the slope of which varies depending on the height of the
roof you're at. Call it a bell curve, sort of. It has a name
architecturally, but I forget it. The challenge is to create an
evenly-sloped rack to mount panels which is "tangent" to the arc and at
proper tilt angle at point of mounting.
After looking through some catalogs, I found that unistrut makes a 6"
strut welded to a 2 hole mounting plate. They also make a hinge. So the
tangent can be made by bolting one end of the hinge to the top of the 6"
unistrut mount, then bolt unistrut rail to the top end of the hinge (2
feet per rail). The rail is the tangent line running up/down the roof.
Several of these rail assemblies across the roof form the base to bolt
on horizontal unistrut rails and problem solved. I hope.

Kirk Herander
Vermont Solar Engineering
802.863.1202
fax 802.863-7908