Flashing "L" Feet [RE-wrenches]

Ken Schaal ken at commonwealthsolar.com
Mon Feb 27 05:26:29 PST 2006

http://click.topica.com/caaerelbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC Powerscan

Thoughts from an old thermal guy------

    For over 25 years I have used, with no leaks, silicone caulk under
mounting feet, in the lag screw hole, and over the head of the lag. Simple ,
cheap, reliable. Since the shingles under the panels are protected from UV
radiation and heat they last MUCH longer than those at the perimeter of the
array. Having to now too often go back and R&R collectors for reroofs, I
have started placing flashing  around the perimeter , especially at the
lower portion of the array , so as to allow reroof with out disturbing the
array.

    If we really want to save energy and resources--be green-- in the long
term, then I believe this is an issue that the PV industry needs to address
even more than  SHW , due to the time involved with larger areas. Or will
we -- the solar industries as a group--follow the typical short term
thinking of others ?

    As the ethical leaders of the solar installation part of this effort to
use renewable energies, which is after all, about long term thinking, how do
you all approach, and/or resolve,  this issue?

 Thanks for your thoughts

Ken Schaal
CommonWealth Solar,LLC