Frostbite [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Wed Feb 15 18:32:27 PST 2006

Get your VoIP on with Packet8's Videophone.
Crystal clear images of your loved ones. Free Month.
30 day money back guarantee. 1-877-868-1135
http://click.topica.com/caaer6Ebz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ TMONE

I did an off grid system for a client near anchorage. Same thing, they
are gone for the winter and didn't want the batteries to freeze. As long
as they are kept fully charged it should not be a problem. In fact I
think you greatly elevate the risk through possibly lowering the SOC by
heating the pack.

 From Trojan's web page.

Can a battery freeze?
The only way that a battery can freeze is if it is left in a state of
partial or complete discharged. As the state of charge in a battery
decreases, the electrolyte becomes more like water and the freezing
temperature increases. The freezing temperature of the electrolyte in a
fully charged battery is -92.0^o F. At a 40% state of charge,
electrolyte will freeze if the temperature reaches approximately 16.0^o F.

Todd

Jeff Oldham wrote:

>Your free subscription is supported by today's sponsor:
>
>Anyone have some cleaver and RELIABLE tricks for keeping batteries from freezing up in AK where I can see -40F for long winter periods? In the past I've placed them in 9' deep root cellars with great luck (stays at 32F) but this client is not interested in that approach.
>At this point I'm considering electric soil warming mats under the batteries in a well insulated box. I can probably spare 2 or so kWh/day. No one will be there for at least 3 months.
>Thanks!
>-jeff o

Packet8 Digital Phones Service can save you up to
$999 annually on your phone bill! First Month Free!
Free Activation! Save $110 instantly. Wow. 1-877-868-1135
http://click.topica.com/caaer6lbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ TMONE

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com