PV on slate? [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater clrwater at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 2 14:45:00 PST 2006

<x-flowed>
Hi Nicholas,

3 best approaches  that come to mind for slate roofs:

1)  Reconsider doing it
2)  Pole Mount near the building
3)  Hire an experienced slate roofer to work with
you and give as much of the liability as possible
to them.

I don't mean to be pessimistic and I do encourage
you to go for it - it would be nice to be able to
respond to any roof type in the industry - but
the little work I did with slate roofs in the
early 80s with solar hot water in Vermont taught
me that damage to the roof during installation is
a major liability besides the issues of attaching
mounts - especially the steeper you go.  The roof
trac system from ProSolar for tile mounts might
be of help - I'm guessing here - call em and see.
. . .perhaps you can find other vermonters that
have actually done it - but proceed cautiously!
I know that's why you went to the list. I hope
someone responds with some definitive experience
here.  Let us know how you end up approaching it!

Best,

Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design

--