calculation (point of attachment)[RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Wed Jan 18 14:23:44 PST 2006

Jumpstart your love life at AmericanSinglesR.com.
Meet someone in your area today. Millions of member profiles.
Create a profile, post photos and search for free.
http://click.topica.com/caaemrrbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Spark Network

Keith:

If the loads require a service upgrade without PV, the addition of PV does
not change that.  Furthermore, a battery based inverter system creates
additional load (battery charging).  Hopefully the engineer figured on the
battery charging load as well.

If you feel daunted by the service upgrade, subcontract a licensed
electrician.  Every one has their own expertise and the job goes better
when everyone stays within theirs!

If anyone has questions about the application of the code section with
battery-less systems, I have created a spreadsheet to help me (and others)
evaluate these conditions.  It will be available at my web site in a few
minutes:

http://mpandc.com/

Click on Downloads

Click on the link "Point of connection spreadsheet."  Instructions are
included.

I have included the values for several common residential inverters.  You
can add your own models and copy across the formulas easily.

Please note that Excel is not my preferred spreadsheet application, so I
can not guarantee the results.  Input is appreciated.

William Miller

At 12:44 PM 1/18/2006, Keith Cronin wrote:
>We have a client that has an existing 200 amp electrical service. They are
>doing a complete remodel, addition with some heavy AC and other stuff-
>pools, water features etc.
>

>The engineer did a calculation of 298 amps. The work involved to bring the
>service up to 325 amps (next standard size here) is lengthy, costly, and
>somewhat challenging.
>

>We are installing 10KW of PV, 4 - 3048 Outback's, and a small battery
>system.
>

>They are eager to not upgrade to 325 amps, and I know the limitations
>outlined, Per NEC- 690.64 B 2 exception regarding the busbar rating.
>

>Any thoughts on this?

Shopping for a new car?
Pay 2-3% below invoice on a new car of your choice.
Save thousands with our free car discount finder service!
http://click.topica.com/caaemrqbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Dealix

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com