!RE: Service Call Reimbursement [RE-wrenches]

Ezra Auerbach, DragonSun Consulting ezra at lasqueti.net
Thu Jan 5 08:59:50 PST 2006

Hi all,

This thread is about the reasonable desire for working people to be
compensated for their time and effort when they are called upon to repair
or replace a manufacturers equipment. Just for the record I totally support
the notion that manufacturers should compensate installers for return
visits if equipment if the manufacturer deems the equipment requires
upgrading, repair or replacement (providing product failure is not caused
by installation or environmental issues).

An important part of our industry maturing is having the manufacturers who
provide the technology being able to stand behind their products. There
have been a number of expamples of companies doing the right thing in past
years. Trace started it all off by reimbursing installers for their
all-to-frequent calls to SunTie sites. If I recall correctly other inverter
manufacturers Xantrex and Fronius have service call policies. Last year
UniRac did an excellent job of reaching out to installers on a product
issue and they also arranged to pay a fee for the necessary service call.

These are but a few examples of our industry growing up but there is
another important side to this matter. If we truly expect our manufacturers
to cover the costs of service calls - especially off grid ones which
involve hours of travel - we must expect to pay more for the products they
sell us. At present most manufacturers include cost of warranty
replacements into the price of the equipment and they figure on a certain
percentage of failure. If we want them to include time and materials along
with the cost of the equipment into their calculations we must expect to
pay more for the equipment.

I believe that most of us don't want to pay more for equipment, especially
since we choose the products we sell on the basis of reliability and don't
expect a high degree of failure. So I propose a alternative scenario:

We certainly should expect all manufacturers to pay some reasonable amount
for service calls necessitated by their materials or workmanship but we
should also expect our customers to bear some of the risk and cost of
service. This is most important off grid but also holds true in grid tie
situations.

Installers should advice their clients the limit and extend of the warranty
and that it doesn't cover the cost of the installers time. They should be
then offered a choice of taking the risk of paying the installers time if
necessary or buying a service agreement. Serivce agreements are very common
in other industries similar to ours and have proven to be profit centers
for many businesses.

Having said that I'd like to step back and look as some other industries
and their examples of service. When I bought an expensive gas stove and
lugged it all the way to our darned island only to find it had a non
operable burner I was offered a box of parts but no service call. When my
internet satellite dish required re-aiming (due the service providers'
changes) I had to pay for the service call, and spend many a long hour on
the phone getting a credit from the provider.

When I compare our industry to others I am glad to see that we are
demanding higher than usual standards for our customers, it bodes well for
the future of solar.

Best regards,

Ezra Auerbach

DragonSun Consulting
Marketing Services to the Renewable Energy Industry

ezra at lasqueti.net
250 333 8650