5000W/ 48V water heater dump load element [RE-wrenches]

Dan Brown Cvsolar2 at aol.com
Fri Dec 22 05:52:21 PST 2006

happy holidays everyone.
       i have an off grid customer hell bent on eeking every last watt out of
a 10k bergy (in a fairly hot wind site). they heat with water-- so they're
thinking of using a conventional hot water tank with elements capable of
handling up to 10k (5k each) as a dump load, i see basically the same idea, but
instead of using a domestic hot water heater, I'd rather instal the element in
their existing boiler either way, we'd tap in to the DC side at 48 volt, and
control the mess with an outback aux out. question is has any one tried this
approach (and lived to tell the tale) -- good idea? bad idea? parts? suppliers? that
kind of thing. seems their using both radiant floor heat, and base board. we
have talked a little about a hot water storage system (like a tarn), but i get
the impression they'd like to keep things less expensive. any advice would be
greatly appreciated. thanks dan

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com