System Pricing [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at netscape.com
Tue Nov 28 13:12:01 PST 2006

I realize this is not an easy subject to deal with, but several recent posts have thrown around system pricing in the $9 per watt range without describing what a "system" is.  Since these posts can be read by the public, if we are going to discuss pricing we mention what kind of system is being priced.

For example, unlike many of you on the west coast or in areas with high utility rates and state rebates, many of us on the east coast have clients in areas with electric rates that are still fairly low, or do not receive any state or utility rebates.   This means an "out-of-the-box" packaged gridtie system does not have that good of payback here.  Many of our systems are purchased for their back-up power capability or are off-grid, so any utility savings are a bonus, but not the main reason a client is buying a system.   This also means many of our systems have large battery banks, special battery rooms, generators, and lots of design review of the homes HVAC and electrical loads and switchgear requirements. This puts us way over $9 per watt and I was wondering if others could post some of their "average" installed costs, but define the type of system being priced.

Thanks,

Jeff Yago
Dunimis Technology Inc.

Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.