Outback FLEXware [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Thu Nov 9 19:58:36 PST 2006

Dan - Thanks for the supportive comment and for the design input - we
are very interested in making the new FLEXware as easy to use as
possible.   We really are designing this stuff with you guys in mind.

The reason we eliminated the fan was due to some issues that the
location it was mounted in was making with an ETL inspector at one of
our integrating partners assembly location.  Turns out the UL508A
industrial control panel standard leaves some gray areas for the
inspector to intreprete when it comes to fans...

We tested the X-240 and found out a number of interesting things -
mainly, when used for generator balancing it is not able to transfer
more than 4kW unless the generator's regulation is very poor and the
loads are extremely inbalanced - the resistance of the transformer
limits it.  So even when adding the fan kit the transformer will still
carry about 4 kW (although maybe a slight bit more due to the lower
resistance of the cooler wire with the fan blowing) when used to balance
a generator or inverter system.

The only time you might want the cooling fan is when you are using the
X-240 to step up 120 to 240VAC or step down 240 to 120VAC.  This can be
done with the X-240 up to the 4 kW (or so...) level - but if you need
more the PSX-240 enclosed 6kW version is better.

The aluminum construction of the FLEXware enclosures and the new
position of the X-240 in the lower part of the enclosure resulted in a
substantial temperature drop - so much that we were able to eliminate
the ventilation holes entirely in the FLEXware enclosures.  This allows
all of the FLEXware enclosures to be able to be mounted in a horizontal
or VERTICAL position.  This is really nice on the FLEXware 500 system (1
or 2 inverters) when there is limited space.  Its also great on the
FLEXware 1000 (up to 4 inverters) when you are doing large systems with
eight inverters - they simply are mounted side by side with the DC
enclosures across the bottom and the AC enclosure across the top - the
enclosures are like having large gutters all the way across and the
knockouts between them simply line up with each other.

Neither the X-240 or the PSX-240 limits the pass through of the inverter
- it just shunts some of the load from one side to the other because of
the voltage difference between the two AC legs.

Note also that there is the new FLEXware 250 enclosure which is much
cheaper ($99 USD list price) for the smaller systems with one inverter -
it does not provide mounting for the X-240 so you would have to use a
PSX-240 with it anyways - it still would be much cheaper than a PS2
system or any other integration system out there...

Christopher

Dan Rice wrote:

> Kudos to you and Outback for the new Flexware. Not wishing to complain
> too loudly, I would like to comment that dropping the fan option

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com
www.outbackpower.com