Grounding on rock [RE-wrenches]

Jim Duncan ntrei at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 28 14:47:38 PDT 2006

Wrenches,
I won't be able to drive a ground rod due to the bedrock being less than
a foot below the surface. A quick review of the NEC suggested ground
plates as one option. Calling local supply houses turned up no one with
such a device. The internet showed a clever ground lattice of rivited
copper clad metal strips formed in a grid; available from India.
Another product was a 20 foot long flat roll of copper sheet with a  #6
copper lead welded to one end and a powdered compound to mix with water
and pour in the trench to improve conductance. I'd be afraid to ask what
that costs with the price of copper.
A 20 foot #2 wire has to be at least 30 inches deep and, short of
hauling in a truckload of dirt, there isn't 30 inches of dirt anywhere.
What sort of clever ideas have been used to solve this age old dilemma?
As always, thanks

Jim Duncan
North Texas Renewable Energy Inc
Fort Worth, Texas