Irreverable crimped connectors for grounding [RE-wrenches]

Damian de Caires damian at thesolarcenter.com
Tue Sep 5 07:13:32 PDT 2006

Recently I got cited for failure to install a direct connection GEC to
the Ground electrode as per NEC 690.47-C  In the code it does require a
GEC unbroken from one inverter to ground rod, any additional inverters
can have a GEC pigtailed to this line but the crimp has to be
irreversible.  It is uncommon for a crimp capable of holding 2x #6 wires
being also irreversible.  In the code it defines irreversible crimps (in
250) as either a crimp that will break when removed or a welded bond.
My idea is to use a split nut and solder the threads so the bolt can not
be unscrewed.  Currently I have contacted Watson & Bates for a part.  If
anyone can recommend a crimp let me know.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com