array expansion strategery [RE-wrenches]

Andy Cochrane andy at powertripenergy.com
Thu Aug 10 09:28:45 PDT 2006

Hi Wrenches,

My partner and I are having a discussion about the best way to fulfil an
existing customer's request for expansion.

The system we put in in Apr 2004 is currently:
2.2 KW on a tracker
Xantrex SW 4024 (grid-tied w/GTI), (2) C-40's, and Xantrex DC panel,
~900AH 24 V battery bank

The customer wants another 1.1 KW now and maybe yet another 1.1 KW next
year.  These arrays will be fixed mount to the deck railing, from which
access to the existing power equipment is not difficult.

The question is whether to use another charge controller (an MPPT model
this time) and add this array to the existing system, or whether to use
a small SunnyBoy grid-tied inverter separately intertied into the same
subpanel.

The main question is whether the efficiency losses by going thru the
SW/battery system (batteries never used) make it worth avoiding those
efficieny losses by using an efficient synchronous inverter, which would
be slightly more expensive.

Penny for your thoughts.

Andy Cochrane

Power Trip Energy Corp