production meters for 120 VAC inverters [RE-wrenches]

Peter Parrish peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Fri Jun 9 13:47:15 PDT 2006

I may be one of the few wrenches servicing the AES inverters in the Los
Angeles area. I do it because many of the contractors who installed the
systems are out of business, and I can't bring myself to ignore
well-intentioned individuals.

Here is a issue that came up recently. A customer has two 1kW AES
invereters fed by two seperate identical PV module configations (16ea
Shell SP-75s). I serviced one of the two that went down for the reasons
we have dscussed on this board previously. A couple of weeks ago the
same customer asked if we could remove/replace the PV modules during a
re-roof, which we did. He then asked us if we could install a produciton
meter so that he could easily monitor the AC output. We told him that we
could but that we would need to do some research.

First Approach: meter each of the inverters seperately. Would a 4-jaw
meter like the GE I-70S work by feeding one half of the meter with the
120 V line? Otherwise, is there a meter that will accomodate a single
120 V feed?

Second Approach: meter both inverters together with a single I-70S. I
assume that I would need to make sure that the two 120 V feed landed on
seperate bus bars in the service panels (legs L1 and L2). How do I
handle the neutrals - let them land on the neutral bus bar in the
service panel, or connect them but float them?

Any help would be appreciated.

Peter Parrish, Ph.D., President
NABCEP Certified PV Installer (Cert. No. 031806-26)
California Solar Engineering, Inc.
820 Cynthia Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90065
Office 323-258-8883