KWH meter discrepancy [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks bill at brooksolar.com
Sun May 21 19:03:58 PDT 2006

Jeff, Bob, and All,

Bob and I have briefly discussed this in the past. They have seen
discrepencies, and I believe they were due to improper programming or damage
in shipment. The idea that a utility meter is inaccurate at low power just
can't be true. A residence lives at 200-800 watts for over 12 hours a day
considering night and midday. They are tested at several points including
low power. All utilities retest their meters and occasionally they reject a
meter for being out of calibration. Net meter meters require testing several
meters to find one that is in calibration in both directions. However, the
specs are so tight (I believe they have to be within 1.5% in both
directions), that it is tough for a meter that has been calibrated only in
the forward direction.

Utility meters calibrated by Austin Intl. should be extremely accurate
unless it was damaged in shipping. The specs are more stringent than
inverter manufacturers. However, I have seen several inverter meters in very
good agreement with well-calibrated utility meters, so not all manufacturers
push the truth.

Bill.