Unexpected pleasure from abused AGM batteries [RE-wrenches]

Windy Dankoff windydankoff at mac.com
Fri Apr 14 22:55:27 PDT 2006

http://click.topica.com/caaeE3vbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC Powerscan

Wrenches,

An old industry buddy sent me this to share on the list.  He likes to
lurk anonymously so I pass this to you for your late-night enjoyment
and wonder.

-- Windy

-------------- quote --------------
Hey Windy...

I just read your Wrench post on the batteries.  On target as usual.

For notes, I recently completed an extensive analysis of 24 GNB VRLA
cells that were used by a now-defunct telecom firm.  The cells are
four years old, and had only one year of use in float service before
the company went under.  The power company (wonderful folks that they
are) did their duty and turned off the power shortly after the telco
went into receivership.  On power fail, the telco UPS system kicked
on and kept running until the batteries were dead.  Flat dead .. as
in 1.8 VOC.  The UPS went into low-voltage shutdown, and the system
sat for three more years while the bankruptcy case worked its way
through the court.  In the end, a trustee was called in to haul the
stuff off late last year.  No one would take the battery system .. so
I ended up with it (48 V @ 965 AH).  It's nice to have some
sophisticated data acquisition equipment.  Turns out the pack is ok.

Before beginning my tests, I talked with an engineer at GNB who
turned out to be a solar nerd .. and *very* knowledgeable.  He
predicted almost to the millivolt what I'd read during each of the
tests, and even suggested early on, and based on very preliminary
measurements, the pack would be ok.  He was right.  He also gave me
some interesting info.  As far as the VRLA cells go, it appears
there's less harm done by letting these particular type of cells sit
in a discharged state for extended periods than first thought.  The
wear-out factor is more temperature and charge/discharge related.  He
said GNB is now looking at cells in terms of the total W-H in/out ..
and as an approximate rule of thumb, we could use the total C/8 W-H
rating of the battery multiplied by 1,000 .. and THAT figure would
give you an idea of the total "miles left" on a VRLA battery.  In
effect, this 965 A-H pack, times 48 volts, is a 46.3 kWh battery.
The pack will be considered "dead" .. or at least qualified for
replacement .. when it's cycled a total of 46.3 MEGA watt hours.
Aside from blatant abuse (such as taking a cell to near zero volts,
or even polarity reversal, etc.), depth of discharge and other
considerations, though important, appear to be more secondary to
overall battery wear .. at least in the VRLA cells.  I can't speak to
other chemistries/topologies.

Aside from slightly higher than normal leakage current (caused by a
slight leaching of lead into the water over an extended period of
long-term discharge), the cell capacities are all 105% to 120% of
spec, and even the leakage current is expected to decrease slowly as
the cells again sit in float service.

Thought I'd share this with you as long as you were on the battery
topic on the Wrench board.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php