Thermal - PV and diff controller... and more! [RE-wrenches]

Geoff Greenfield Geoff at Third-Sun.Com
Thu Apr 13 07:13:57 PDT 2006

http://click.topica.com/caaeE3vbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC Powerscan

Kurt, Tom and Kirk-

Thanks for the feedback.  I really should go back to school for thermal, or
not do it at all.  I am so busy with electrons that adding water to the mix
is silly.  That said, the economic/energy payback is so good that I feel
guilty not including it as an option for my customers (and the earth).  My
education consists of Tom Lane's informationally overwhelming and poorly
organized/edited (not edited?) book (sorry Tom if you are listening - thank
you for your book but please hire an editor for the second edition) and a
pile of HP articles/ mixed with and floating around with various
manufacturer's website info...  And of course there are many conflicting
bits of advice!

I want simple, I want reliable, I want effective.  I am in a NE hard freeze
locale. My target design is for residential families, using 40 SF to 96 SF
of collector area (and our grant program is based on SF) -  I have a bunch
of quotes out there based on PV direct/Solaraid (internal HE) tanks, but
after hearing this feedback I am reconsidering.

I am considering the following options - and soliciting wrench opinions on
them!:

A) PV direct sidearm HE with single pump.
B) PV direct sidearm HE with double pump.
C) AC sidearm HE with single pump.
C) AC sidearm HE with double pump.
D) Drain back system with reservoir HE
E) Drainback system with unpressurized storage
F) Insert your favorite here.

For a brighter energy future,

Geoff Greenfield
NABCEP Certified Energy Practitioner