Furnace blower re-wire? [RE-wrenches]

Geoff Greenfield Geoff at Third-Sun.Com
Fri Feb 3 09:58:59 PST 2006

Small Business Virtual Office VoIP Phone System. Big
Business Functionality for a Small Business Telephone
price. Packet8 Business Sales 1-877-868-1135
http://click.topica.com/caaer6Fbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ TMONE

Just got back from a site visit and need some help...

The customer has a heat pump with backup coils.  He also has an outdoor wood
furnace with fan coils retrofitted.  The compressor is fed with a double 30,
and the blower unit has 2 double 60 circuits feeding 2 double 60 breakers on
the unit.  It is a Lenox Elite CB 30U - 41/461P.  The fan motor is 240 V 1/3
HP and is listed as being 350 watts draw...

My goal is to put the fan circuits (and control circuits?) on a backed up
sub panel. The way things are set up, if there is a battery back up
situation while he is out of town and the water furnace ain't hot, we don't
want the resistance strips to drain the batts!

I opened up the unit (which has a sliding cover allowing a third double
breaker) and found that there were heating elements on both breakers, the
fan motor, relays and a spaghetti of wires on one side.

SO - my game plan is to install a third breaker in the unit (double 15 or
20?) served by our backup panel and move all the non heating element wiring
to that.  Customer knows he may be affecting warranty etc...

SO - am I nuts? am I right on?  am I in between?  Any advice or heads ups
(or better yet an "I've done that before and it worked like a charm") would
be greatly appreciated!

For a brighter energy future,

Geoff Greenfield
NABCEP Certified Energy Practitioner

THIRD SUN SOLAR & WIND POWER Ltd.
340 West State Street
Athens, OH 45701

www.third-sun.com
(740) 597-3111

Unlimited International Calls to Certain Counties with
Packet8. Our International VoIP Plans offer subscribers a
easier way to save on overseas calls. 1-877-868-1135
http://click.topica.com/caaer6Ibz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ TMONE

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com