Syncing four SW inverters [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Thu Jan 26 11:24:12 PST 2006

Shopping for a new car?
Pay 2-3% below invoice on a new car of your choice.
Save thousands with our free car discount finder service!
http://click.topica.com/caaemrqbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Dealix

Colleagues:

I have a situation where I need to synchronize four SW inverters to achieve
120/240.  The inverters are in an existing installation and were connected
incorrectly.  The description of how it was done is irrelevant, but the
result was that during generator run, the two 120 outputs would stay 180
degrees apart.  Without the generator feed, the phase would vary slowly so
that over about 45 minutes the voltage between phases would go from 240 to
0 and back up to 240.  Needless to say, this is not acceptable.

I had investigated this in 2000 and I seem to recall this is not easy to do
with the SW inverters.  I will call Xantrex again, but I wondered if anyone
here has experience with this scenario.

Having asked the question, I think I have a solution:  Is it feasible to
feed a pair of synchronized SW inverters with another synchronized pair of
inverters?   Think of it-- the downstream inverter pair will think the grid
is up and will transfer.  If the loads exceed the capability of the
downstream set, the upstream set will kick in to assist.

If it were possible that all 4 inverters could be connected in  parallel,
the output would be 70 AAC per phase inverting.  With this scheme, we are
limited to 60 AAC per phase.  During generator run, the output for an all
parallel installation would be 120 AAC instead of 60 AAC with this method.

Battery charging is a little trickier.  This is an off grid setting with
two large generators.  My first thought is to connect the upstream set to
the generator via the AC2 input.  The output of the upstream pair is
connected to the AC1 input of the downstream pair.  The upstream pair is
set to FLT to charge whenever the generator is running.  The downstream
pair is set to SLT mode.  The SLT timer can be either defeated or set to
occur when it is known the generator will be running.

I call this idea "Cascaded inverters."  I know it's a little hard to wrap
your head around this concept.  I do appreciate any feedback if anyone has
ever thought of this or tried it, (or likes to think about these kinds of
things)  A drawing of this idea can be found at: http://mpandc.com/  Click
on Downloads, Click on "-Cascading SW Inverters."

Jumpstart your love life at AmericanSinglesR.com.
Meet someone in your area today. Millions of member profiles.
Create a profile, post photos and search for free.
http://click.topica.com/caaemrrbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Spark Network

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com