Service Call Reimbursement, field repairs [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Tue Dec 27 11:30:48 PST 2005

Save up to $1,500 on your phone bill with Packet8
Free Activation, Free Equipment & First Month Free!
30-day money back guarantee. 1-877-868-1135
http://click.topica.com/caaegt4bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ TMONE

Friends:

This has been a recurring problem for us.  We have had problems with a
small percentage of virtually every manufacturers products.  What galls me
is I have been told by one manufacturer that we should add a surcharge to
every installation to cover call backs that result from manufacturers
defects.  This is a great idea, but I'm not the one that should be covering
the manufacturer's defects, they should!

I've also adopted the policy that I don't open inverters in the field and
replace parts.  I had a defective temp. sensor in a VFX inverter
recently.  They apparently have had a lot of these as the replacement
included a tidy instruction sheet.  The sheet instructed me to tape down a
ribbon cable if it had come taped down.   It had not and I did not.  I
pinched the cable and released the smoke (only from the cable,
fortunately).  I got lucky and did not ruin the new inverter.  I had to
spend an extra hour opening the inverter again and splicing the ribbon
cable. I could not leave it like that so I had to go back and replace the
ribbon cable.  The worse case scenario with field repairs is that the
inverter becomes damaged, leaving the system disabled, the customer
inconvenienced and myself looking very stupid.  I won't risk
that.  Recently a manufacturer's engineer tried to shame me about this
policy, but I won't accept that.  Engineers work in rarefied
environments--  in the shop with the parts department next
door.  Manufacturers need to consider the tribulations of the field installer.

I don't sell the major components, I'm only an installer.  My bottom
line:  I give each manufacturer one free service call.  I notify them when
that occurs.  After that, it's up to the vendor, the manufacturer and the
customer to decide who pays my bill.  I hear those conversations are not
pleasant for anyone involved.

William

http://click.topica.com/caaegt3bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PC PowerScan

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com