Powering a critical load sub-panel [RE-wrenches]

David Katz david at aeesolar.com
Thu Nov 17 08:13:03 PST 2005

http://click.topica.com/caaedmqbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PC PowerScan

Jim,
If you put the Sunny Island between the two panels you will solve your
problem. Connect the AC input of the SI to a breaker in the main panel
and connect the output to the sub panel. AC will flow through the SI
when utility is present and the SI will power the sub panel when there
is no utility power (and separate the panels). The output of the
Sunnyboy inverter should be connected to a breaker in the sub panel so
it will continue to work when utility power is off.
This can also be accomplished with a Xantrex SW or an Outback inverter,
but the Sunny Island does an elegant job of talking to the Sunnyboy when
solar output is greater than load usage during a power outage. All of
the inverters will charge the batteries if the sun is out, the utility
is down and usage in the house is lower than array output.
Good luck.
David

David Katz
President, AEE Solar