grounding of wind towers [RE-wrenches]

Kelly Keilwitz kelly at whidbeysunwind.com
Wed Nov 2 16:20:04 PST 2005

MAKE NEW FRIENDS, MEET POTENTIAL BUSINESS PARTNERS, FIND THAT SPECIAL SOMEONE!
IT'S EASY, IT'S FUN! AND BEST OF ALL, IT'S TOTALLY FREE!
http://click.topica.com/caaeatFbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Friendsand.com

Hi Kirk,
 We keep the tower ground and the electrical equipment ground seperate. We
ground the tower as you describe, except we don't use a lightning arrestor.
We DO use lightning arrestors on the conductors and equipment ground. With
direct-burial conductors we'll put a "Z" bend in the trench at the tower to
"dissuade" any induced strikes from heading to the power room. Don't know if
it does any good but it can't hurt (nothing blown up, yet).
-Kelly

Kelly Keilwitz, P.E.
Whidbey Sun & Wind
Renewable Energy Systems
NABCEP Certified PV Installer
987 Wanamaker Rd, Coupeville, WA 98239
Ph & Fax: 360.678.7131
sunwind at whidbeysunwind.com

> We've probably covered this before, but what's the best way to ground a
> wind generator tower? I usually drive a rod at the base and all guys,
> and ground the tower as well as all guy levels. Then put a lightning
> arrestor at the tower base where the splice to larger wire is and
> connect the arrestor neutral/gnd to the rod at that location. As most
> generator manuals do not discuss grounding and lightning protection, I
> wonder if I'm going too far or not far enough. And is it wise to connect
> the tower ground to the system (house) ground in all cases? Exceptions?
>

> Kirk Herander
> Vermont Solar Engineering
> 802.863.1202
> fax 802.863-7908
> NABCEP(tm) Certified Solar PV Installer
> Xantrex Certified Dealer Charter Member
> NYSERDA-eligible installer
> VT Solar and Wind Partner

New Apple® iPod® nano. As Thin as a No. 2 Pencil. Stores up to 3
Days of Songs! Get it Here FREE*!
http://click.topica.com/caaeatBbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Superb Rewards

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php