2 x 4 Trusses in Hurricane country [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater clrwater at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 19 10:01:24 PDT 2005

<x-flowed>
Hi Good Colleagues,

I want to revisit a topic we've discussed quite extensively before -
always wanting to fine tune our methods.

Using 3" lags in 2 x 4 based trusses on 4' centers has always been
suspect to me (especially in the New England Hurricane path)  so we
have used either blocking or a 2 x 6" sister nailed to the 2 x 4 to
ensure good grab.  Not only are 2 x 4's often warped or punky but
penetrating a member under tensile load more than half way with the
lag is questionable on a structural level as well.

I'm wondering what others regularly do and how confident you are in
your methods.  With increased hurricane likelihood, I'm still having
my crews nail 2 x 6 sisters to the 2 x 4s - or put blocking in on new
construction.   Do others consider this overkill? or are we in line
with other's concerns as well.

Thanks,

Jeff C.
--