GPS question [RE-wrenches]

Bill Loesch, Saint Louis Solar bill_loesch at compuserve.com
Fri Oct 14 09:42:39 PDT 2005

Technology Made Easy so you can Enjoy Your Technology!
Help with PCs, iPods, network & much more. Industry Leader.
http://click.topica.com/caad3QVbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/LightFrog

Jay,

The major players (publicly traded) in the GPS arena include

CSI
Garmin
Leica
NovAtel
SiRF and
Trimble

I believe Garmin covers the widest range of applications and has a major
portion of the consumer market. I started with their base model and have
bought multiple units to have one in each vehicle. As of yet, I have had no
compelling reason to upgrade.

The Garmin eTrex line includes models that do offer a stationary compass
function. The eTrex Venture is the lowest price ($149 List) eTrex model
with "electronic compass" as well as a barometric altimeter. One penalty of
the electronic compass is the reduced battery time of eg 22 hours (GPS
only) vs 13 hours (GPS and compass). As has been mentioned already, there
is no shortage of bells and whistles available including celestial, tide,
sunset, sunrise, glide ratio, vertical speed to destination, etc ad
nausium. All with an accompanying price (eTrex Vista C (color) lists for
$321).

GPS technology has already been incorporated into some cell phones which
supplement the failing of GPS to function well in the dense urban
environment.

GPS World is one of the GPS pubs that I follow.

        www.gpsworld.com

Bill Loesch
Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar

Message text written by INTERNET:RE-wrenches at topica.com

Hi Bill,

I'm looking for a GPS that gives compass headings while stationary.

I know that they make them, just thought someone knows which ones.

thanks,
jay

http://click.topica.com/caad3QXbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/LightFrog

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com