glycol and drainback systems [RE-wrenches]

Bill Loesch, Saint Louis Solar bill_loesch at compuserve.com
Sun Sep 25 01:04:09 PDT 2005

Need a new Cell Phone? A BlackBerry 7250 could be yours free! Find
out how!
http://click.topica.com/caadV2bbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Amazing phone

Message text written by INTERNET:RE-wrenches at topica.com
>I've never seen a failure cause
the pump to not shut off.  I'm sure it's happened.  Has anyone personally
seen this?  Inquiring minds want to know.<

Inquiring mindTravis,

Talk to Smitty (or  Chuck). Smitty has more than one horror story about
using (water) drainback in freezing climates. At least one of those stories
has a surprise ending.

My philosophy is "If it can break, it  will break, probably at the most
inopertune time."

Reportedly, using glycol in a drainback is a common solution when not all
the plumbing was installed properly for water drainback. See Tom Lane's
comments which quote 25 years of glycol drainback history.

You recently commented that Brandon Levitt (in Chicago) has a good handle
on the business with his technique of offering to handle the rebate
paperwork for a fee, I believe _all_ he does is glycol drainback.

Not all SDHW users are technical enthusiasts, nor should they be. Their
only system knowledge may be "There is no hot water." In the Smitty
scenario that call occurs in winter and their next call will be, "There is
water on my roof." At that point, one of the collector manufacturers will
be selling a few more panels if the owner doesn't give up on solar
alltogether.

As to the toxcicity of propylene glycol, perhaps your chemist customer
knows something he should share with the FDA? One of the _great_ aspects of
this forum is its _practical_ approach. If I wanted the academicians
perspective, I would not be here. My concern is that a lot of folks will be
entering into the SDHW market with the advent of the tax credits. If the
oldtimers are recounting the story accurately, there will be a lot of
misinformation and inappropriately executed systems as a result. My only
hope is that this forum will not aid in any of that misinformation.

Good luck with your team in the Decathalon. Enjoy the ride.

Bill Loesch
Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar

Did president Bush react quickly enough to hurricane Katrina?
http://click.topica.com/caad0PSbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Nationwide Survey

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com